Sunderland have very quietly moved away from relegation danger over the last few weeks, and Martin O’Neil’s side are starting to add up to something like the sum of their parts.
Here are some numbers and statistics from The DW Stadium:
– Steven Fletcher had three shots, all of which were on-target, two of which resulted in goals.
– Fletcher also won three times as many aerial duels (6) as any of his teammates.
– In 85 minutes, Stephane Sessegnon had a pass-accuracy of 95%.
– Alfred N’Diaye led the game in both interceptions (7) and tackles (4).
– John O’Shea managed 12 defensive clearances.
– Sebastian Larsson attempted two crosses, and was accurate with both of them.
– Jordi Gomez was dispossessed more than any other player (3).
– James McCarthy had the most touches of the ball (97), shortly followed by Maynor Figueroa (96), and Jean Beausejour (95).
– Wigan had over twice as many shots as their opponents (24 v 11).
– Wigan also out-passed Sunderland 664 attempts to 278, and had a far superior average pass success streak (7 vs 3).
– 52% of Wigan’s shots came from outside the box, whereas 82% of Sunderland’s attempts were from less than 18 yards.