A decent start to life in England for Manuel Pochettino, and an acceptable point for David Moyes. No goals, but plenty of vibrant football – here are the statistics from draw at St Mary’s.
– Rickie Lambert had 6 attempts on goal, 2 of which were on-target.
– Of all the players to start the game, Jack Cork had the highest pass-success rate (84%).
– Cork also had more touches of the ball than anybody else (84).
– Gaston Ramirez and Philip Neville both made 4 interceptions.
– Jos Hooiveld and Maya Yoshida managed 13 and 12 defensive clearances respectively, Everton’s Phil Jagielka and Sylvain Distin made 7 and 4.
– Marouane Fellaini made a game-high 5 tackles.
– Only 2 of Leighton Baines’ 11 attempted crosses were accurate. Jason Puncheon managed an accurate 4 from 7 attempts.
– Marouane Fellaini and Leon Osman were both dispossessed 4 times.
– Luke Shaw, Kevin Mirallas, and Leighton Baines all completed 2 successful dribbles.
– Nikica Jelavic touched the ball 20 times in 67 minutes, the lowest participation of any starting player.
– Southampton out-shot their opponents 16 to 9.
– Half of the hosts’ attempts on goal came from set-pieces.
– Everton attempted 55 long balls in comparison to Southampton’s 37.
– Both sides had an average successful pass streak of 4.